Recording Room Documentation
First - Join Discord Audio
- On the Skype/Discord computer, open the Discord app (it should be
- Select the CIS channel:
- Then click the Meeting Audio to join the Church to the audio channel.
This is what allows others to hear the meeting.
- The Church In Spokane Audio user name should appear under the Meeting
Audio. Other users may have already joined.
- Now you can begin to setup for recording the meeting.
A Typical Meeting
- Record the Meeting
- Copy the recording To the Master Thumb Drive
- Copy to the Kiosk computer.
- Copy the Loaner Thumb Drives.
Record The Meeting
Starting Sound Forge And Preparing For Recording
- Start Sound Forge Audio Studio.
The icon should be on the desktop, and looks like this:
- When the application starts up the window will look something like this:
- Click on the Record icon, the red 'target' icon on the left hand side of the transport toolbar:
- The Record dialog box will open:
- Prepare to Tag the recording.
- Select one of the wireless handheld mic's to use for tagging. Any will work as long as the receiver is turned on.
Press and hold the on/off button to turn on the handheld mic:
- Insure the battery is good (change the battery if needed).
- Insure the receiver is turned on. In the picture below Lav 1 is on,
Lav 2 is off and both handhelds are on.
- Set the selector to S-Wireless Mics -Tagging (using the white box control device).
- Turn the mic on and make sure you are getting a signal on the receiver in the equipment rack.
- If using the Lavilear mic, clip
the mic onto your clothes if you don't want to hold it, or if it is a
hand held mic, hold it near your chin--out of the path of the breath of
- Get into position to tag the recording--at the PC ready to start recording.
a little to test and make sure the level indicators are
moving with your voice and that they go up to at least 24 on the dial.
Above 12 would be better, but not clipping (turning red). Re-position
the mic as necessary to get the signal level to the desired reading.
- If needed, use the printed documentation that has an example of the 'script' for tagging various meetings.
- When ready to tag the recording, click on the red target:
- The red target will turn into a blue square Stop 'button'.
- Tag the recording. Poke the Stop button when you are done tagging.
As you are tagging you should have seen the level indicators moving. A
peak value (shown at the top of the recording bars) close to 0 is ideal, as shown above. The level got into the
'yellow' zone but not the 'red' zone.
- When finished tagging, turn off the handheld mic (push and hold the
on/off switch) and put it away.
- Set the Selector on the 'White Box' to S-Sharing.
Getting The Lav Mics Ready For Sharing Brothers
- Get out a Lav mic(s) for the sharing brother(s), turn it/them on and make sure the
battery charge is good on all mic's you plan to use. Replace the batteries if needed.
- Insure the Lav 1 receiver is ON and Lav 2 is off.
Start Recording the Meeting
- Insure the system is set to record singing and sharing.
- Check the white box. If it is NOT on S-Sharing, set it to 'S-Sharing'.
- Start the recording.
- When you are ready to start recording the meeting,
click on the red target 'button' icon again to start recording. You will see a
red box flash on the word recording when recording is happening.
Recording The Brothers Sharing
- Prepare for recording the brothers who will open and optionally close the meeting.
will almost always be a brother who will open the meeting. Many times
there will be another brother who will close the meeting. Check the
posted schedule to know for sure.
- Insure the Lav mics are on (Lav 2 only
if there is a closing brother) and the buttons are locked.
- To lock the buttons, press and hold the on/off and the lock
button at the same time.
- A lock symbol will appear.
- Ad the end of the meeting, in order to turn the mic off, you
will have to unlock it the same way you locked it.
- Give Lav 1 mic to the brother who opens the meeting.
- Give the Lav 2 mic to the brother who will close the meeting if there is such.
- Insure the Lav 1 receiver is ON and that the Lav 2 receiver is
See picture above.
- Switching for the Opening Word of the Meeting.
goal is to switch the mics from 'Sharing' to 'Wireless' when the
brother opening the meeting is about to begin speaking, then back to 'Sharing' when he
- Be vigilant to when the brother will start
speaking. Position yourself either in the A/V equipment room or the A/V
booth--both have a white box you'll need to make the changes.
- When the brother begins to speak, switch from
S-Wireless Mics (Hall).
This is the selection item directly above Sharing. See picture above.
- Listen in the headphones to insure the brothers speaking can be heard.
to the PC and check that the level is appropriate. Adjust it if not
using the appropriate adjustment setting on the white box (e.g. A-Wireless Lapel 1),
or adjust the input level on the headphone amp (black box with 4
knobs--adjust the knob associated with the recording computer).
- Switch back to
Sharing when the opening word is complete.
- When the brother is about to finish, position yourself near a white box.
- When he finishes, switch back to S-Sharing.
- Prepare for the Closing brothers sharing.
- IF there will be a brother closing the meeting, go to the A/V equipment room.
- Turn OFF the Lav-1 receiver and turn ON the
- Switching to Closing Word recording.
the brother who will close the meeting stands up, position yourself
near one of the white boxes. The A/V Booth is best as you can see what
is going on in the hall.
- When the brother begins to speak, switch for
S-Wireless Mics (Hall).
- Listen on the headphones to insure the brothers speaking can be heard.
- Go to the PC and check that the level is appropriate, making any necessary adjustments.
- Switch Back To Sharing
- When the closing brother is about to finish, visit one of the white boxes.
- When he finishes, switch to S-Sharing.
- This will insure we capture all the announcements.
Finishing the Recording
- When the meeting is over, poke the Stop button and
Close the Record dialog box. The main screen will look something like this:
- Select the Save icon (looks like an old floppy disc) and the Save As dialog box will appear.
It should default to the ThumbDriveMeetings folder, but if not navigate to that location (C:/Media/Meetings/ThumbDriveMeetings):
- Give the File name the current date. Do not use spaces, use under bars as shown:
Notice we are in the ThumbDriveMeetings folder, the name of the file is the date of the meeting, and the type is MP3.
Click Save to save the file.
Note, that it may take up to 2 minutes for the file to save.
Copy To Master Thumb Drive
- Use the Windows file explorer and navigate to the ThumbDriveMeetings.
There should be a shortcut to that folder on the computer desktop.
- You should see the recording you just made. It should be at the top of the list if the sort order is by date.
- Plug the Master Thumb Drive into the PC's USB port. You should see a dialog box similar to this:
- From the dialog box above, select the Open folder selection that is circled. A File Explorer dialog box will open similar to this:
- Drag the MP3 file you just recorded and navigated to in Step 2, to the newly opened dialog box:
- This process should take only a few seconds.
Copy Recording To Kiosk
- Unplug the Master Thumb Drive from the PC take it over to the Kiosk machine.
- Plug the thumb drive into the Kiosk machine and wait for the
dialog box to recognize the drive and offer you the familiar window:
- Select Open folder...
- Copy the MP3 file to the desktop of the Kiosk PC.
Copy To Loaner Thumb Drives
NOTE: We no longer provide loaner thumb
drives. After 2 cases of thumb drives never came back, we decided that anyone
who wants a copy of the recording needs to provide their own thumb drive.
- Plug some Loaner Thumb Drives into the available USB ports.
- In a similar manner as you used to copy the recording onto the
Master Thumb Drive, copy the recording to the Loaner Thumb Drives.
There are several techniques that can be used to do this. One is shown
above, but you may want to use another approach. By whatever means you
like, copy the recording onto the loaner thumb drives.
- Hang the Loaner Thumb Drives up for the serving ones to take.