Recording Room Documentation
A Typical Meeting
- Record the Meeting
- Copy the recording To the Master Thumb Drive
- Copy to the Kiosk computer.
- Copy the Loaner Thumb Drives.
Record The Meeting
- Start Sound Forge Audio Studio.
The icon should be on the desktop, and looks like this:
- When the application starts up the window will look something like this:
- Click on the Record icon, the red 'target' icon on the left hand side of the transport toolbar:
- The Record dialog box will open:
- Prepare to Tag the recording.
- Select one of the wireless mic's to use for tagging. Any will work as long as the receiver it turned on.
Often the Lapel Mic 1 is used as that is the one that will be given to the brother who opens the meeting.
- Insure the battery is good (change the battery if needed).
- Set the selector to S-Wireless Mics -Tagging (using the white box control device).
- Turn the mic on and make sure you are getting a signal on the receiver in the equipment rack.
the mic onto your clothes if you don't want to hold it, or if it is a
hand held mic, hold it near your chin--out of the path of the breath of
- Get into position to tag the recording--at the PC ready to start recording.
a little to test and make sure the level indicators are
moving with your voice and that they go up to at least 24 on the dial.
Above 12 would be better, but not clipping (turning red). Re-position
the mic as necessary to get the signal level to the desired reading.
- If needed, use the printed documentation that has an example of the 'script' for tagging various meetings.
- When ready to tag the recording, click on the red target:
- The red target will turn into a blue square Stop 'button'.
- Tag the recording. Poke the Stop button when you are done tagging.
As you are tagging you should have seen the level indicators moving. A
peak value (shown at the top of the recording bars) close to 0 is ideal, as shown above. The level got into the
'yellow' zone but not the 'red' zone.
- Record the rest of the meeting.
- Set the system to record singing and sharing.
- Set the white box to 'S-Sharing'.
- When you are ready to start recording the meeting, click on the red target 'button' icon again to start recording. You will see a red box flash on the word recording when recording is happening.
- Prepare for recording the brothers who will open and optionally close the meeting.
will almost always be a brother who will open the meeting. Many times
there will be another brother who will close the meeting. Check the
posted schedule to know for sure.
- Give Lav 1 mic to the brother who opens the meeting.
- Give the Lav 2 mic to the brother who will close the meeting if there is such.
- Insure the Lav 1 receiver is ON and that the Lav 2 receiver is OFF.
- Switching for the Opening Word of the Meeting.
goal is to switch the mics from 'Sharing' to 'Wireless' when the
brother opening the meeting is speaking, then back to 'Sharing' when he
- Be vigilant to when the brother will start
speaking. Position yourself either in the A/V equipment room or the A/V
booth--both have a white box you'll need to make the changes.
- When the brother begins to speak, switch from S-Sharing to S-Wireless Mics (Hall).
- Listen in the headphones to insure the brothers speaking can be heard.
- Go to the PC and check that the level is appropriate. Adjust it if not using the appropriate adjustment setting on the white box (e.g. A-Wireless Lapel 1)
- Switch back to Sharing when the opening word is complete.
- When the brother is about to finish, position yourself near a white box.
- When he finishes, switch back to S-Sharing.
- Prepare for the Closing brothers sharing.
- IF there will be a brother closing the meeting, go to the A/V equipment room.
- Turn OFF the Lav-1 receiver and turn ON the Lav-2 receiver.
- Switching to Closing Word recording.
the brother who will close the meeting stands up, position yourself
near one of the white boxes. The A/V Booth is best as you can see what
is going on in the hall.
- When the brother begins to speak, switch for S-Sharing to S-Wireless Mics (Hall).
- Listen on the headphones to insure the brothers speaking can be heard.
- Go to the PC and check that the level is appropriate, making any necessary adjustments.
- Switch Back To Sharing
- When the closing brother is about to finish, visit one of the white boxes.
- When he finishes, switch to S-Sharing.
- This will insure we capture all the announcements.
- When the meeting is over, poke the Stop button and Close the Record dialog box. The main screen will look something like this:
- Select the Save icon (looks like an old floppy disc) and the Save As dialog box will appear.
It should default to the ThumbDriveMeetings folder, but if not navigate to that location (C:/Media/Meetings/ThumbDriveMeetings):
- Give the File name the current date. Do not use spaces, use under bars as shown:
Notice we are in the ThumbDriveMeetings folder, the name of the file is the date of the meeting, and the type is MP3.
Click Save to save the file.
Note, that it may take up to 2 minutes for the file to save.
Copy To Master Thumb Drive
- Use the Windows file explorer and navigate to the ThumbDriveMeetings.
There should be a shortcut to that folder on the computer desktop.
- You should see the recording you just made. It should be at the top of the list if the sort order is by date.
- Plug the Master Thumb Drive into the PC's USB port. You should see a dialog box similar to this:
- From the dialog box above, select the Open folder selection that is circled. A File Explorer dialog box will open similar to this:
- Drag the MP3 file you just recorded and navigated to in Step 2, to the newly opened dialog box:
- This process should take only a few seconds.
Copy Recording To Kiosk
- Unplug the Master Thumb Drive from the PC take it over to the Kiosk machine.
- Plug the thumb drive into the Kiosk machine and wait for the
dialog box to recognize the drive and offer you the familiar window:
- Select Open folder...
- Copy the MP3 file to the desktop of the Kiosk PC.
Copy To Loaner Thumb Drives
NOTE: The Loaner Thumb Drives are ONLY for SERVING SAINTS. Other saints will need to provide their own thumb drives.
- Plug some Loaner Thumb Drives into the available USB ports.
- In a similar manner as you used to copy the recording onto the
Master Thumb Drive, copy the recording to the Loaner Thumb Drives.
There are several techniques that can be used to do this. One is shown
above, but you may want to use another approach. By whatever means you
like, copy the recording onto the loaner thumb drives.
- Hang the Loaner Thumb Drives up for the serving ones to take.
Please do not get in the habit of 'loaning' to non-serving saints
because they forgot to bring their own drive to the meeting; this will set a precedence and the
practice will become expected.